Governance for volunteer boards (½ day)
Schools, charities, housing associations and many other organisations are managed by volunteer boards. The people that give their time up to do this bring many life and career based skills to the organisation. However, they do need to be enabled and encouraged to have an effective input.
There also need to be sound decision making processes that happen in line with the constitution of the organisation.
This requires effective chairing of meetings and inclusive team working. This workshop sets out to deliver an understanding of the skills needed to do this well. It is suitable for any volunteer board members, especially those undertaking the chairing of meetings or people new to a committee role.
- Role of the board
- Structure – special role of the chair
- Democratic process
- Skills of an effective chair
- Effective listening and summarising
- Minute taking
End of course objectives:
- Understanding effective committee work
- Inclusion and dealing with confrontation
- Clarity around democratic process
- Managing meetings effectively
- Keeping proper minutes